Dentures are a boon to patients who have lost their teeth. Missing teeth can cause a lot of trouble, both in terms of functionality and aesthetics. Hence, dentists always suggest their patients get their missing teeth restored as soon as possible to avoid the possible issues in the future.
Importance of getting teeth restorations
- The aesthetics of your smile will take a massive hit if you do not restore the extracted teeth. You may feel too conscious or embarrassed about your appearance when you socialize with people or attend gatherings.
- Biting and chewing food will become increasingly difficult as the teeth adjacent to the gap may face excessive stresses. This can result in toothache, pain in the jaws, facial joints, and neck as well.
The dentures that we offer will be custom-fabricated according to the requirement of the patient. Some of the factors that we take into consideration are the number of missing teeth, gaps available for placing the prosthetic teeth, jawbone health, gum health, oral infections, etc.
Loosening of dentures
Sometimes, dentures can become ill-fitting due to various factors. Some of them are as follows:
- The main cause of the loosening of dental prosthetics is a change in the jawbone size. Over time, the jawbone tends to weaken and shrink in size. The dentures designed to fit on the jaw ridges perfectly may seem bigger, thereby altering the fit.
- The prosthetic teeth could get dislodged when you bite something too hard. If they aren’t fixed soon, they could loosen too much and eventually fall off.
- Everyday usage can make the dentures ill-fitting as they tend to change in shape. Cleaning them every day or not keeping them soaked in a glass of water overnight can alter their contour.
- Peri-implantitis is a condition that is sometimes caused due to continuous usage of dentures. It is a type of gum disease that can affect the tissues and change their volume.
What is the solution?
When dentures become ill-fitting, they are mostly mended to suit the contour of the jaws and gums. If any loose crowns seem to be falling apart, the dentist will tend to change them as well. After the required adjustments are made, your dentures will be as good as new. However, if you wish to get implant-supported dentures, which are more stable, we can check for candidacy and go ahead with it. The best part about getting your dentures fixed at our dental practice is that the process will not take more than one visit. You can bring them to us in the morning, relax in the comfort of our office while we make the necessary modifications, and wear them back home in a few hours.
Please schedule an appointment online or call us at (815) 744-7543 to have a consultation with Dr. Trushar, and we will be happy to help.